Back To School Lunches & Snacks
Hate going back to school after summer? Join the crew.
School can be annoying but it makes my day a bit better knowing I have delicious and nourishing snacks and lunches to power me through the day. I have put together a list of my favourite lunches and snacks to pack in my bag and enjoy when I have breaks.
For school, you want to stay on top of things and a lunchbox full of crap is just going to slow your mind and body down. Making sure your food is packed with complex carbs, healthy fat, complete proteins and as many micronutrients as possible is key to keeping your brain and body healthy. These nutrient packed meals are perfect to keep you full of energy throughout the school day.
I need some exciting and delicious as a snack, a handful of nuts or a plain apple doesn't cut it for me. Here are some of my fave portable snacks:
- Natural Born Feeder Brownies
- The Little Green Spoon Cookie Dough Balls
- Rosanna Davisons Cashew & Ginger Protein Balls
- Carrot, red pepper slices and hummus (homemade or store bought)
- Healthy Choc-Chip Cookies
- Coconut & Orange Energy Balls
- The Little Green Spoon's Vanilla Crunch Protein Bars
- Apple slices and nut butter
- Rice Cakes and hummus
Nobody wants a soggy, limp sandwich at the bottom of their lunchbox, so check out these ideas for a tasty, nutrient packed lunch:
- Sourdough sandwich; 2 slices sourdough or wholemeal bread, toasted with 1/2 avo, 1-2 tbsp hummus, 3 sliced cherry tomatoes and a handful of rocket.
- Butternut Squash and Chickpea Salad
- The Little Green Spoon's Plant Power Lunchbox
- Homemade Falafels with wholemeal pitta, hummus and rocket
- Green Kitchen Stories Miso Noodle Soup
- Natural Born Feeder Veggie Burgers (serve with salad, in a wholemeal bun or with whatever you fancy)
- Green Veggie Curry with brown rice
- Mason Jar Salads
- Veggie based soup with protein (chickpeas, lentils, salmon, chicken) and wholemeal pita
- Wholemeal wrap with fresh veg (red pepper, tomatoes, cucumber, carrot etc.), protein (hummus, chickpeas, lentils, chicken, salmon, beans etc.), dip (hummus, avo guac, baba ghanoush etc) and extras (greens, avocado, nuts, seeds, quinoa, sweet potato etc)
NOTE: I like to prepare my lunches in advance the night before to make it easier in the morning.
If you give any of these a go let me know! Tag me in your photos on instagram @dancingfoody and #dancingfoody.